- 3 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- Torn lettuce leaves, for serving
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, halved
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Servings: 4
- Difficulty: easy
Cover the chicken with cold water in a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon salt. Remove strips of zest from half of the orange with a vegetable peeler; add the zest to the water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 18 minutes. Remove the chicken and let cool.
Grate the remaining orange zest into a large bowl; juice the orange into the bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, celery, nuts, chives, poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Add the apricots, if desired.
Shred the chicken, discarding the bones and skin, and toss with the dressing. Stuff a few lettuce leaves and some of the chicken salad into each pita.
Per serving: Calories 749; Fat 41 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 109 mg; Sodium 957 mg; Carbohydrate 51 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 43 g