- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound Mexican-style chorizo
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large, fresh poblano chiles
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Cheddar, shredded
- 3/4 cup Jack cheese, shredded
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Servings: 6 stuffed peppers
- Difficulty: medium
In a medium saucepan, heat oil and chorizo, cook for 3 minutes. Add peppers, jalapeno, onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, then add rice and cook until all the grains of the rice are coated with oil. Add all liquids and stir over high heat for 3 minutes, cover and reduce heat to low. Check rice for doneness after 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place poblano chiles on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, cut top 1/4 of chile off and remove ribs and seeds.
When rice is finished cooking, fluff with fork and stir in shrimp. Stuff chiles with 1/6 of the rice mixture. Place all the chiles on baking sheet and place into oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, mix cheeses together and cover pepper with cheese. Broil for 3 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.